To apply for a programme at the University of Luxembourg, candidates must comply with the general eligibility criteria for the chosen programme type and be selected by the study programme based on the quality of their application.
The programme at a glance – 180 ECTS
Specific information for this programme
Luxembourgish “Diplôme de fin d’études,secondaires classiques, générales ou techniques” or an equivalent diploma recognised by the Ministry of Education, Children and Youth.
Musical competencies: Depending on the choice of specialisation, the conditions of admission to the study programme differ. Applicants who are not holding the required diplomas will have the possibility to participate in an audition and sit a written exam.
Language requirements: English level C1 (CEFR), oral comprehension and expression of the three official languages of Luxembourg (Lëtzebuergësch, French and German) is an advantage
English level C1, oral comprehension and expression of the three official languages of Luxembourg (Lëtzebuergësch, French and German) is an advantage
In addition to the documents required for the enrolment at the University of Luxembourg, students need to submit:
– CV (max. 225 words)
– letter of motivation
The selection is based on the application dossier, a letter of motivation, a personal interview and, if necessary, an audition and a written exam. The audition and the exam will happen mid-July.
Specific admission requirements according to the specialisation:
- Instrumental or vocal courses
Diploma «1 er Prix» for instrument/vocals (min. 50/60 points)
In the absence of the required diploma: audition, written test in general music theory and listening (dictation)
- Musical training (solfeggio)
Diploma «1er Prix formation musicale – solfège» (min. 50/60 points) and diploma «2 e cycle» Piano
In the absence of the required diploma: audition piano, written test in general musical theory and listening (dictatio
Early childhood music education (éveil musical)
«Certificat de la division moyenne spécialisée » (min. 50/60 points) and diploma «2 e cycle» accompaniment
In the absence of the required diploma: Audition instrument, written test in general music theory and listening (dictation)
- Instrumental or vocal courses
Letter of motivation guidelines
The letter of motivation must include the following elements:
- Musical experiences (max. 400 words): describe personal highlights in the field of music (e.g. competitions, important events, extraordinary concerts, compositions, personal experiences, significant encounters, …).
- Educational experiences (max. 400 words): if applicable, describe your personal experiences in the world of formal or non-formal education, in the field of music or otherwise (e.g. scout instructor, workshop leader, camp counsellor, teacher, children’s choir, …).
- Motivation (max. 400 words): describe the three main reasons why you choose to become a teacher and what makes you feel capable of teaching music (personal skills, role model, encouragement, …).
- Professional perspectives (max. 400 words): describe your desired career path in music teaching, which branch(es) you would like to teach, in which context (music school, kindergarten, public school, …), which audience (children, youth, adults, …).