To apply for a programme at the University of Luxembourg, candidates must comply with the general eligibility criteria for the chosen programme type and be selected by the study programme based on the quality of their application.
The Programme at a glance – 180 ECTS
Duration:3 years / 6 sem
Teaching Languages:EN + FR + DE
Admissions:EU: 1 Feb 2023 – 25 May 2023
Non-EU: 1 Feb 2023 – 30 Apr 2023
Fees:400€/ sem. (semester 1,2)
200€/ sem. (semester 3,4,5,6)
Format:Full-time programme (Part-time student status allowed)
Specific information for this programme
To qualify for admission to the Bachelor en Cultures Européennes (BCE), you will need a secondary school leaving certificate awarded or declared equivalent by the Luxembourg Ministry of Education, Children and Youth.
Are you still waiting for your diploma or recognition of equivalency (diploma recognition)? Make sure you apply as soon as applications open in February. Pending qualifications can be submitted later.
English (C1 level CEFR)
Second Language: French or German (B2 level CEFR)
Third Language: French or German (A2 level CEFR)
The Admissions Commission will consider strong bilingual applications (English/French or English/German) that meet all other criteria.
2. Admissions Essay
3. Academic reference/letter of recommendation from a teacher who knows you and your work well
4. All your school reports and transcripts for your last three years at secondary school (all semesters or trimesters; your transcript for the current trimester/semester can be submitted later)
5. Verified language skills / Language qualifications
Please contact the BCE Admissions Team (email@example.com) if you need any further information.
The application process consists of three steps:
- Step 1: fill in and submit the online application form (01.02.2023-25.05.2023 included)
- Step 2: pay the administrative file fee (50€) and create your temporary student account (your credentials will be set to you via an automated email)
- Step 3: Upload the required documents and submit your application by 01.06.2023 (included).
The Admissions Commission will meet once a month during the application period. Your application will be processed within a month. If you finalise your application by the last day of the calendar month, you can expect an answer by the end of the following month.
Do not wait until you have graduated from secondary school to start and submit your application! The earlier you start and complete your application, the earlier you will receive an answer. Later applications stand a lower chance of being successful, as they will be competing for fewer places.
Please note also that you may be added to a waiting list and/or called for an interview. Interviews will typically be held in the second half of June.
If your application is successful, you may receive one of two types of offers:
- Final Admission: if your application file is complete by the time you submit – in other words, if you have already graduated and have the required language qualifications – your admission will be unconditional or final.
- Conditional Admission: if your application file is not complete by the time you submit it – in other words, if you are still waiting for your diploma, recognition of equivalency, or for language qualifications – your admission will be conditional. It will become final once you upload your diplomas and certificate in the online admission portal.
Admissions Essay Guidelines
Tell us why you want to study English Literature and Linguistics with European Cultures
The admissions essay plays an important role in your application. It is your chance to tell us why you want to join the Bachelor in European Cultures and it will help us to assess whether our programme is suitable for you.
Literary Studies and Linguistics require specific sets of critical and analytical skills. Depending on your educational background, you may or may not have (much) experience with this dimension of our programme.
This should not stop you from applying, but you need to be aware that you will have to develop these competences. Writing this essay will encourage you to think about the programme we offer, and to make up your mind about it.
Make sure you read the Admissions Essay Guidelines carefully and address all required dimensions in your essay.