Office of Doctoral Studies
The Office of Doctoral Studies (BED: Bureau des Etudes Doctorales) centralises all procedures and communication (applications to accept PhD students, reports, recommendations, thesis defence requests, etc.) related to doctoral studies. The BED is the intermediary between PhD supervisor, the doctoral student and the Rectorate.
The responsibilities of the BED include the following:
- managing student files
- managing student status
- managing relations with University departments (Human Resources, Accounting, etc.) or research institutes in Luxembourg if applicable
- monitoring the work of Thesis Supervision Committees
- securing administrative authorisation for the thesis defence and monitoring the process
- ensuring the long-term availability of PhD theses (archiving, compliance with legal requirements on data retention, accessibility and communication to the public)
- monitoring compliance with procedures
- managing agreements for joint supervision (“cotutelles”)
The BED also manages transferable skills training courses, open to all doctoral students.
Please note: each Doctoral School also offers transferable skills courses, so make sure you check with your head of programme and Doctoral School administrator for more details.
The office is generally open from Monday to Friday, 9am to 12pm, upon appointment.
Please use the “Affluences” app to make an appointment or contact us via email.
We are located on Belval Campus
Maison du Savoir, 5th floor
2, avenue de l’Université