Before Maastricht: Identity and Place in European Writing before the EU
This conference addresses the pressing need for a historical perspective on real and imagined forms of European coherence and invites scholars to investigate literary, aesthetic, and philosophical engagements with European identity produced before the formation of the European Union.
We welcome abstract proposals on the following topics:
• Nationality and statehood in literature
• Borders in literature
• Transnationalism and Transculturalism
• Periodicals as literature
• Functions and limitations of literary form
• Periodicals as texts of revolution
• The novel in Europe
• European identity in Cold War literature
• ‘New’ European identities
• Migrant literature
• Identity in the Digital Humanities
Please send a 250-word abstract for a 20-min paper along with a short biographical note to Ass. Prof. Anne-Marie Millim firstname.lastname@example.org or Dr. James Gallacher email@example.com by 28 February 2023.
The conference will take place on 27 & 28 April 2023 at the University of Luxembourg, Campus Belval, Maison des Sciences Humaines. Subject to change in the ongoing international health and travel situation, this conference will consist of both virtual and in-personal panels.
- Prof. Gerardine Meaney, University College Dublin
- Prof. Frank Shovlin, University of Liverpool
Download: Call for papers Before Maastricht